When you need to apply for Social Security disability benefits, it’s important to understand the process. There are a few different manners in which to complete your disability application. It can be done online, in person or over the phone. No matter which way you apply, you need to have certain information and documents in order to increase your approval rate.
How do you qualify for Social Security disability benefits?
- You need to be at least 18 years old in order to apply.
- The condition you suffer from must be considered severe. This means that it needs to either be expected to endure for at least 12 months or ultimately cause death.
- You can’t already be receiving Social Security benefits on your record.
Different ways to complete a disability application
- Call 1-800-772-1213 to make an appointment for either an in person appointment or to make a phone appointment to complete your disability application.
- If you want to complete your application online, you could consult this Adult Disability Checklist. This will help you prepare for filling out your application and alert you to what information you will need to have ready. You can then complete the Disability Benefit Application. You will also need to fill out the Medical Release form. Applying online is the most convenient because you can start it immediately and whenever you have time. You can also complete it in sections rather than having to do it all at once if you don’t have the time to work through it all.
You will need to provide the following information:
- You need to have your birth information as well as your Social Security number ready to give. If you have a spouse or children, you will also need to provide information about them as well.
- You will need to provide information about your medical condition. This includes documentation about your official diagnosis, tests, treatments and doctor’s visits. The more information you have here, the more it will help you prove your case.
- You will also need to provide information about your work and why you can no longer perform a job.
You will need the following documents:
- Proof of birth and citizenship.
- W-2 forms and pay stubs.
- Medical evidence.
You may still have questions about completing your disability application. Please contact us and we can help you through the process!