Feb 19th, 2014

Social Security Announces New Expedited Disability Process for Veterans

Fred London Law 0 Comments Uncategorized

Carolyn W. Colvin, Acting Commissioner of Social Security, along with Congressman John Sarbanes (D-MD) today unveiled a new initiative to expedite disability claims by veterans with a Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) disability compensation rating of 100% Permanent & Total (P&T). Under the new process, Social Security will treat these veterans’ applications as high priority and issue expedited decisions, similar to the way the agency currently handles disability claims from Wounded Warriors.

Jan. 17, 2014 — SSA Question: 
I’m getting married soon. How can I get my name changed on my Social Security card?
After the wedding, gather your marriage document and other papers proving your:
” identity; and
” United States (if you have not yet established your citizenship with us) or immigration status (including Department of Homeland Security permission to work in the United States).

Then, complete an application for a Social Security card, which you can find at www.socialsecurity.gov. Finally, mail your completed application and documents or take this information to your local Social Security office. You can find your nearest Social Security office at www.socialsecurity.gov/locator. Remember: Your documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. SSA cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents. Any documents you mail to us will be returned to you along with a receipt.